Simple precautions can reduce the likelihood that you will become the victim of a crime.
- BE ALERT. Your safety depends mostly upon your own attitude and actions. Use common sense and do not place yourself in a location or situation to become a victim of crime.
- IF YOU OBSERVE ANY SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY OR WISH TO REPORT ANY CRIMINAL ACT, CALL PUBLIC SAFETY EXT. 8344 For police, fire or medical emergencies, you may call 911.
- IF YOU BECOME AWARE OF A CRIME, OBSERVE A SUSPICIOUS PERSON OR SITUATION OR ARE A VICTIM YOURSELF, PROMPTLY REPORT IT TO PUBLIC SAFETY. Timely reports increase the likelihood that critical evidence will be obtained, stolen property will be recovered and the offender will be successfully prosecuted. This is especially important in cases involving sex offenses. A prompt report to the police will also ensure that you are made aware of all available victim support services.
- AVOID WALKING ALONE AT NIGHT. Make arrangements to walk in groups whenever possible. If you must travel alone at night, stay on well-lit paths and sidewalks.
- KEEP YOUR ROOM DOOR LOCKED AT ALL TIMES. Locking your door with your key, wherever you reside, is an effective way to reduce theft and enhance personal safety. The vast majority of thefts occur from unlocked rooms when the occupant is gone only briefly. Do not prop open exterior doors, and close any doors you find propped open. Propped doors are a high risk and greatly increase chances of your victimization. Do not open your door to someone you do not know.
- DO NOT LEND YOUR KEY OR KEY CARD TO ANYONE. Your action could result in both you and/or an innocent victim being referred to the campus judicial system. Report a lost or stolen key to Public Safety and to Residence Life staff immediately.
- REPORT OBSCENE, ANNOYING, OR HARASSING PHONE CALLS OR E-MAIL MESSAGES IMMEDIATELY. Public Safety will investigate, and as patterns develop, they will work closely with the Information Technology to apprehend offenders. Please print out e-mail if possible.
- REPORT ALL SECURITY-RELATED MAINTENANCE PROBLEMS. Locks, doors, windows, exterior lights in need of replacement, shrubbery in need of trimming or other unsafe conditions should be reported immediately to the Physical Plant at 488-4608 – on campus ext. 4608. Campus facilities and landscaping are maintained in a manner to minimize hazardous conditions.
- IDENTIFY YOUR VALUABLES USING OPERATION ID. Engravers are available for students to use. Record their serial numbers on the provided form. Then be sure to keep your copy in a safe place.
- PARK YOUR CAR IN WELL-LIT AREAS AND KEEP IT LOCKED. Lock all valuables in your trunk. If you have expensive stereo equipment, etc., consider buying an alarm system.
- PARTICIPATE IN PERSONAL SAFETY AND SECURITY AWARENESS PROGRAMS. Student Services frequently conduct programs that promote crime resistance skills.